New Years Resolutions
A New Year’s resolution is a tradition, most common in the Western World but also found in the East, in which a person resolves to improve their life at the start of a new year; continue good practices, change an undesired trait or behaviour or accomplish a personal goal.
- The origin of making New Year’s resolutions rests with the Babylonians, who reportedly made promises to the gods in hopes they’d earn good favour in the coming year such as resolving to get out of debt.
- The Romans began each year by making promises to the god Janus, for whom the month of January is named.
- In the medieval era, the Knights took the “peacock vow” at the end of the Christmas season each year to re-affirm their commitment to
I think that many of us have resolved to get fitter, if only to avoid the tedium of looking at the same four walls when working from home. I know that I have been trying to walk for an hour each day and a colleague of mine has set himself the target of doing a marathon in the next 18 months.
It gives people something to look forward to and keep working towards. Even if they aren’t followed through completely, making a resolution shows that you have the belief and hope in your ability to change habits and become a better you.
Two weeks in, how are you doing with yours?
- Tel : +44 (0) 1763 248650
- Email : [email protected]